Learn about SABE
Self Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE ). The United State’s national self-advocacy organization. We are a national board of regional representatives and members from every state in the US.
To ensure that people with disabilities are treated as equals and that they are given the same decisions, choices, rights, responsibilities, and chances to speak up to empower themselves; opportunities to make new friends; and to learn from their mistakes.
What we believe in:
- People with disabilities should be treated as equals.
- People should be given the same decisions, choices, rights, responsibilities, and chances to speak up and empower themselves.
- People should be able to make new friendships and renew old friendships just like everyone else.
- People should be able to learn from their mistakes like everyone else.
Our current goals are:
- Eliminate institutions;
- SABE will support affordable and accessible housing for all people in the community;
- National healthcare for all people;
- Equal employment opportunities for equal pay for all people;
- People with disabilities will have self-advocacy at all stages of their lives with funding to support state, local and national self-advocacy organizations;
- SABE will educate people with and without disabilities on the options, choices and alternatives to guardianship so that full guardianship is not an option whenever possible;
- SABE will be a political powerhouse to work on legislation that effects people with disabilities lives;
- SABE will advocate for individualized services for all people with disabilities;
- SABE will support flexible and available accessible transportation (airlines, trains, buses) for all people in the community across the nation; and,
- SABE will educate people â€“ all people – about disability issues that are important in their lives.
How you can help SABE!
- Become a member of SABE!
- Join a Self-Advocacy Group!
- Come to the national conference!
- Donate to SABE with check or money order!
For questions about membership and finding local and statewide self-advocacy organizations contact SABE at:
Self Advocates Becoming Empowered
P.O. Box 872
Mason, OH 45040